24.2.12

Reading Photo: Duane Michals

"..It is no accident that you are reading this. This moment has been waiting for you, I have been waiting for you. Remember me."
(Duane Michals) 



 
Madame Schroedinger's Cat
1988


 
Madame Schroedinger's Cat
1988


Michals' work makes innovative use of photo-sequences, often incorporating text to examine emotion and philosophy.
(Kristine McKenna) 


 
The Most Beautiful Part of a Man's Body
1986 


The Most Beautiful Part of a Woman's Body
1986


He is noted for two innovations in artistic photography developed in the 1960s and 1970s. First, he "[told] a story through a series of photos" as in his 1970 book Sequences. Second, he handwrote text near his photographs, thereby giving information that the image itself could not convey.
(Ian Phillips) 


Nude observed 
1968 
 A Woman Dreaming in the City
1968



I believe in the imagination. What I cannot see is infinitely more important than what I can see.

No comments: